Movesync: Physical theatre inspired by Crystal Pite with Simon Bell (online 3 Saturday afternoon Asia)
February 13, 2021
This event takes place at 8:00-9:30am (UK time).
While scheduled, primarily, as a Saturday afternoon workshop for teachers in Asia, Theatre teachers globally are invited to attend.
About the workshop
Movesync: Physical theatre inspired by Crystal Pite
Move sync is like lip sync for the body! In this physical acting workshop, you will discover a new approach to creating movement through a radical distillation of text, to add to your devising tool box. Through the staging and abstraction of the text, we will uncover what lies at the heart of the play.
– Explore an approach to creating movement from text.
– Explore how rhythm in text and movement are connected.
– Create both heightened literal movement and abstract movement sequences.
– Understand how movement can be used as a script.
– Practically examine the idea of deconstruction.
– Experiment with the creation of atmosphere through sound.
How this workshop will benefit teachers in their curriculum delivery
This workshop is an industry level training opportunity for teachers to push the boundaries of their skill set. Teachers will be able to return to the classroom with movement based techniques they can immediately implement in a wide range of curriculum settings. The exercises experienced could feed into every core area of the DP Theatre course:
– performer experience that can be referred to within the research presentation to connect to a world theatre tradition convention;
– building skills of text analysis in terms of rhythm when working with play texts;
– an approach to collaboratively creating theatre;
– building confidence in the use of the body as a performance tool that is useful when working with the theory of any physical theorist’s ideas.
DP Theatre teachers
About your workshop leader
I was born in the United Kingdom, trained as an actor in Bristol and worked professionally as an actor/director before becoming a theatre teacher in the UK and US. I am now a freelance theatre artist who travels the world looking for exciting creative opportunities and the best beaches.
My main interests as a theatre artist are in devised collaborative theatre and physical acting. My training is focussed in Lecoq’s pedagogy and in my own devised work, and I am passionate about exploring social and political ideas through physicality. I have experience working with Complicité, Frantic Assembly and Gecko, and these companies inform much of my practice.
I have extensive experience with the IB DP Theatre and MYP courses and have led Category 1, 2 and 3 teacher training workshops for ISTA. I also work as a creative director, SEL at TaPS/festivals and master class leader and am thrilled to be part of such an incredible community of theatre artists.
The workshop will take place using the platform Zoom.
Places are limited to 20 participants per workshop.
You will receive a link to the Zoom call the day before the workshop.
The cost of the session is GBP £30 per person.
What to bring
Any materials shared with you prior to the workshop, such as the workbook. Plus anything requested by the workshop leader which will be shared with you a few days prior to the workshop.
If possible, please try to have a small amount of space near to you for any practical work.
Download & Forms
Please find below the relevant documentation for you to download:
Saturday 13 February