Recommended by Edna Lau.
Salmon is a Canadian staple so I thought I’d share this easy recipe. I have a limited repertoire, so the fact that my kids and all my friends love it means this is one of my standby favourites. This dish has a nice light zing from the mustard balanced with fresh sweetness from the cherry tomatoes and a touch of honey. I hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 4 salmon fillet with skin – you could use skinless salmon but the oil adds to the sauce and you also get your omega 3. When I serve, I leave the skin off though.
• cherry tomatoes cut into halves – you need enough to cover the entire top/surface of your salmon. I usually pack the entire top because I like tomatoes. They also provide the sweetness to balance the tangy mustard and it also helps give more liquid for the sauce.
• ⅓ – ½ cup good olive oil
• 4 tbsp whole grain mustard
• 1 – 2 tbsp honey
• I usually just eyeball the olive oil, mustard and honey. If you like it sweeter, add more honey, if you like it stronger, add more mustard. Key thing is you should have enough liquid to cover the entire top of the salmon. After you mix everything it should be thick and gooey but the sauce will thin out from the tomatoes later on.
• salt and pepper to taste (I find that I don’t need salt and pepper but you can add this if you want).